I’m passionate about exploring how behavioural change interventions can create positive transformations in the real world. Currently, my focus is on interventions based on social norms. Specifically, I’m researching how those interventions can make use of the physical and psychological layers that determine behaviour, as well as dramatic and narrative elements, to produce enduring changes in real-world settings.
At present, I’m working with several co-authors on the following studies:
- A working paper for the International Labour Organization (U.N. agency) on practical methods to change social norms in domestic work (in press for 2021)
- An exploratory study on the narratives around some of the behavioural change interventions applied by Antanas Mockus
- A study about stress reactions and coping mechanisms around the quarantine measures taken in the COVID-19 pandemic in Lithuania and Italy (see: https://wprn.org/item/427152)
Publications (please visit my Google Scholar page here):
- Yamin, P., Lahlou, S., Ortega, S., and Skrickij, V. (in press). Local determinants of driving behaviors: Installation Theory interventions to reduce fuel consumption among truck drivers in Colombia. Transport, 35 (6), pp. 616-634. ISSN 1648-4142.
- Yamin, P., Fei, M., Lahlou, S., and Levy, S. (2019). Using Social Norms to Change Behavior and Increase Sustainability in the Real World: a Systematic Review of the Literature. Sustainability, 11, 5847.
- Yamin, P. (2014). The Terrible Times in America: an approximation to the issue of difference from ‘The Lost Steps’ by Alejo Carpentier [published in Spanish: “Los tiempos terribles de América: una aproximación a la diferencia desde ‘Los pasos perdidos’ de Alejo Carpentier”]. The Southwest Council of Latin American Studies Journal, I. Texas State University.
- Everry, M., Heitmayer, M., Yamin, P., and Lahlou, S. (2020). Ethical Challenges of Using Video for Qualitative Research and Ethnography: State of The Art and Prospective Guidelines. In T. Lähdesmäki, E. Koskinen-Koivisto, V. Čeginskas, A. Koistinen (Eds.), Challenges and Solutions in Ethnographic Research: Ethnography with a Twist. Routledge: London.
- Yamin, P. (2015). Politics (and mime artists) on the Street. In S. Fuggle and T. Henri (Eds), Return to the Street. Pavement Books: London.
- Yamin, P. and García, K. (2015). Performing spaces. In J. Aridi and J. Glendennan (Eds), Taking-up Space. Pavement Books: London.
- Yamin, P. (2012). Imagine: looking for a space in everyday life [published in Spanish: Imagine, buscando un espacio en la vida cotidiana (Documento Ceso No. 197)]. Ediciones Uniandes: Bogotá D.C.
- Yamin, P. (2012). While you were sleeping: impressionistic picture of a woman dreaming [theater play in Spanish presented between 2012-2014 in festivals in Bogotá, Medellín and Madrid, Colombia]. “The mad woman of the house” theater collective, Colombia.